Savory Sweet Potato Pancakes is deliciously rich and perfect for your Holiday Dinner table this year! A simple blend of baked sweet potatoes, buttermilk and a blend of warm fall spices.
This easy breakfast dessert is a southern classic for a good reason! Top it with our homemade caramel syrup for serving.
You likely have everything you need on hand to make these savory sweet potato pancakes. Full with sweet potato flavor with deliciously warm spices.
Sweet Potato: Either canned or homemade sweet potatoe pure give these pancakes a delicious sweet potato flavor!
Spice: Pumpkin spice, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, are traditional warm flavors that pair well with all sweet potato recipes.
Sweetness: A touch of brown sugar (instead of white sugar) adds flavor!
Buttermilk: A key ingredient in this recipe is buttermilk. It is slightly acidic and reacts with baking powder to help these pancakes stay fluffy!
Eggs: Provide the additional structure necessary to hold the bubbles and allow the pancake to rise.
How to Make Savory Sweet Potato Pancakes
1. Bake sweet potatoes on a baking tray for 45 minutes – 1hour on 400F.
2. Combine wet ingredients in a bowl and dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Mix wet and dry until combined. Do not over mix!
3. Pour ¼ cup of the batter onto a hot greased skillet and gently spread the batter for each pancake with the back of a spatula.
4. Flip each pancake when little bubbles appear indicting that the heat has cooked through and they’re golden brown. Continue to cook until done.
Serve with your favorite toppings!
How to Bake Sweet Potatoes
Learning how to bake sweet potatoes in the oven is one of the easiest things to do. Follow these easy steps!
Season and poke the sweet potato with a fork a few times (to allow steam to escape).
Bake for about 1 hour or until tender when the sweet potato is pierced with a fork.
How Long to Bake Sweet Potatoes
Baked Sweet Potatoes Cooking Times
- 350°F 60 to 75 minutes
- 375°F 50 to 60 minutes
- 400°F 40 to 50 minutes
Keep in mind sweet potatoes can vary in size which can change the cooking times. You’ll want to make sure they’re soft when poked with a fork.
Caramel Sauce for Savory Sweet Potato Pancakes
You can go with real maple syrup, walnuts or pecans, whipped cream, and butter! Real butter of course! Or swap it up with this delicious homemade caramel sauce.
More Fall Recipes You’ll Love
Savory Sweet Potato Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 10 caramel candies
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash sweet potatoes and pat dry. Gently rub olive oil onto sweet potatoes and poke with a fork (this will ensure that the heat flows through the sweet potatoes). Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Once sweet potatoes are done cooking, allow to cool for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, add sweet potatoes, brown sugar, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients. Mix just until combined. Allow to rest about 10 minutes.
- Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium heat. Grease with butter or oil. Pour ¼ cup batter per pancake and gently spread with the back of a spatula.
- Cook until lightly browned and the bubbles on top begin to pop. Flip and continue to cook until done. About 4 minutes per side.
How did you like this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another Breakfast recipe ? Try Sweet Potato Pie next!