December 24, 2019 | Last Updated on April 12, 2023 by Patricia Valbrun
This is the BEST recipe for Homemade Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate! Made with simple ingredients, this easy recipe is creamy, rich, and taste better every year!
When the colder months hit, I’m obsessed with everything Pumpkin! That usually results in a warm fall dessert such as; Banana Bread, Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread or my families favorite Browned Butter Sweet Potato Pie.
Grab me a mug and a fork! What could be better than coming in from the freezing cold to a sweet and creamy homemade hot chocolate?
How to Make Homemade Hot Chocolate
This recipe can be made for one or for a crowd, simply double or triple it! Better than any packet of hot cocoa!
1. Combine the milk, pumpkin pure, white chocolate, sugar, pumpkin spice ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon stick (per recipe below), in a pan over medium heat.
2. Whisk until chocolate melts and continue mixing until steaming hot and frothy! (Don’t allow it to come to a boil!)
3. Stir in vanilla, then serve with your favorite toppings. We love to us whipped cream. Check for more toppings below!
We are in full-on Christmas mode right after thanksgiving. We spend all Sunday decorating our Christmas tree and wrapping gifts.
We’ve been going on walks to see lights, reading holiday books, decorating cookies, writing letters to Santa, and indulging in way too much hot chocolate. It’s so much fun!
Can I Use Milk Alternatives For This Recipe?
Yes, you can use milk alternatives such as almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk in this recipe.
Why Use White Chocolate?
White chocolate works perfect for this recipe but you can easily omit for regular or dark chocolate, your preference. It is important to choose a brand of chocolate that melts easily and Ghirardelli is the best for it .
Flavor Homemade Hot Chocolate
You can easily change the flavor of this hot chocolate by omitting the pumpkin pure. Check for more flavors below !
Caramel Hot Chocolate: Add in 3 tablespoons prepared caramel to hot cocoa base or chocolate milk and heat. Omit additional sweeteners like, white chocolate from the hot chocolate recipe.
Peppermint White Hot Chocolate: Instead of vanilla extract, add in ½ teaspoon peppermint extract into hot chocolate.
Sweet Potatoe Hot Chocolate: Omit the pumpkin pure for sweet potatoe. That means you will need, one small sweet potatoe to equal one cup. Bake the sweet potatoe at 425F for 45 minutes. Now, remove from the oven, allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Peal the sweet potato and put inside a medium bowl.
IMPORTANT – Use a hand electric mixer to get rid of the sweet potatoe strings!
Tips To Make The Perfect Hot Chocolate
Create your favorite homemade hot chocolate with one of these 10 flavor options.
- Use any type of milk you like for this recipe. By using Almond Milk and dairy-free white chocolate chips, this becomes Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate.
- Granulated sugar only sweetens the hot chocolate. Honey or agave is a delicious sweetener and will be a great alternative but has not been tested.
- It is important to remember that the type of almond milk and white-hot chocolate you use, determines the amount of sugar you need to add. Some almond milk already has flavor, which means sugar is already added. If you use really sweet milk or chocolate, start by adding only 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Leftover hot chocolate can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and then warm as needed in the microwave or over low heat on the stove.
Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate
- 3 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin pure
- 1 cup white chocolate
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- In a pan over medium heat, combine the following ingredients: milk, pumpkin puree, white chocolate, sugar, pumpkin spice, ginger, nutmeg, and a cinnamon stick.
- Whisk the mixture continuously until the white chocolate has melted and the mixture is steaming hot and frothy.
- Avoid boiling the mixture.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Serve the mixture with your favorite toppings, such as whipped cream. Consider exploring other topping options.
How did you like this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another dessert recipe? Try this Pumpkin Bread with Cream Cheese Filling recipe next!