November 30, 2020 | Last Updated on December 3, 2020 by Patricia Valbrun
Pecan Crusted Trout with Lemon Thyme Glaze is an easy, ender flaky fish with a lemony herb crust that takes just a few minutes of prep and makes the perfect meal. Dinner on the table in 30 minutes tops!
We serve this easy steelhead trout dish alongside our favorite Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes and a fresh side salad for an easy meal!
How to make a 30 Minute Meal !
This Pecan Crusted Trout with Lemon Thyme Glaze has been a fall favorite on our weeknight rotation. The crispy, toasted nut, panko crust and fresh sweet herby glaze, makes for an impressive, restaurant-quality trout dinner that takes just 30 minutes, then off to eat !
STEP ONE: Start by preheating the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a pan with foil and spray well or use parchment paper.
STEP TWO: To make the crust, simply stir together chopped pecans with the panko, breadcrumbs, brown sugar, cumin, allspice, paprika, melted butter, and salt. I like to chop the majority of the pecans to a fine texture, leaving a few rustic pieces for texture.
STEP THREE: Place the Trout (skin down if it has skin) on the pan. Add the crust mixture on top of the fish and bake for 12 minutes.
STEP FOUR: Next, make the base for the glaze. In a saucepan, whisk together agave, maple syrup, bourbon, mustard, garlic powder, and thyme. Boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until the glaze is glossy and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
The trout is ready when it flakes with a fork. The fillets pictured here were a juicy, flaky medium.
Lemon Thyme Glaze
Put together this delicious bourbon maple lemony herb glaze with just a few ingredients .
In a small pan add all of your ingredients as listed below and bring to a boil. Once the liquid starts boiling turn down the heat to a medium and continue stirring until it starts to thicken.
The glaze should be the consistency of maple syrup’ not too thick and not too thin. Slowly poor the glaze on top, keep in mind that a little goes a long way, enjoy !
What is Steelhead Trout? (Steelhead Trout vs Salmon)
Steelhead Trout are often confused with salmon because their flesh looks very similar to salmon. However, steelhead is a type of rainbow trout. Like salmon, steelhead are anadromous. This means they are born in freshwater and then spend a few years in freshwater before traveling out to the ocean before returning to freshwater to spawn.
How long to cook trout in the oven
Trout is lean and should be perfectly tender and flaky when cooked. If you cook it too long it can become dry and unappetizing. The preparation for this baked fish is fairly simple, usually not more than a few minutes and it cooks quickly making it an ideal meal!
A 3-4lb trout filet will cook at:
- 425°F for 10-12 minutes
- 400°F for 13-17 minutes
- 375°F for 18-22 minutes
- 350°F for 25-30 minutes
More Seafood Recipes You’ll Love
Pecan Crusted Trout with Lemon Thyme Glaze
- 2.47 Steelhead Trout Fillet
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1/3 cup japanese panko crumbs
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 4 thyme stems
Lemon Thyme Glaze
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 thyme stems
- lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 425F and spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in the microwave and chop the pecan finely. In a small bowl, add the panko crumbs, pecans, bread crumbs, brown sugar, cumin, allspice, paprika, salt , fresh thyme and melted butter. Whisk until well blended and set aside .
- Place the trout, skin-side-down, on the prepared dish. Brush the trout with avacado oil. Cover the trout with pecans and press the pecans firmly to ensure it stays perfeclty on top. Cook for 12 minutes at 425F.
- In a small pot, on medium high heat. Add agave, bourbon, brown sugar, garlic powder, mustard, thyme and lemon peel. Allow the glaze to boil and continue stirring. Once the glaze thickens your all done.
- Drizzle a small amount of glaze over the trout and broil for another 1-2 minutes until the pecan starts to get a nice golden toasty color. The trout should registers 120F, inserted in the thickest part.
How did you like this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another Seafood recipe ? Try Baked Cod Fish next!
A pot of this Authentic Louisiana-style Red Beans and Rice epitomizes comfort. Tender beans, tons of aromatics,…
New Orleans Cajun Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is a celebration New Orleans bold flavors and…
This Jamaican Jerk Marinade’s simplicity in preparation makes this jerk marinade recipe a go-to choice…
Bite into a slice of Jamaican Jerk Chicken Pizza with tender and flavorful jerk chicken,…
Wait till you try this BRAZILIAN Fish Stew (Moqueca Baiana)! Brace yourself for an irresistible tomato…
One of the best things about the Spicy Watermelon Margarita is its versatility. It can…