May 1, 2020 | Last Updated on November 16, 2021 by Patricia Valbrun
Pollo Guisado Puerto Rican Recipe (spanish chicken stew) is a delicious latin meal with chicken, red kidney beans, potatoes, onion, carrots and fresh herbs. Chicken simmered in a rich seasoned broth until fall off the bone tender! It’s a favorite and stable meal in a Caribbean household.
This chicken stew is full of protein, healthy carbs and veggies. We serve it with a salad, Fried Plantains and White Rice. You can also find a similar recipe just like this one Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken.
How to Make Chicken Stew
A simple Latin Caribbean recipe (Pollo Guisado Puerto Rican) fully loaded with tender chicken and vegetables simmered in a deliciously seasoned broth!
I use thighs and drums because they tend to hold up better to the simmering but breasts can work as well as a healthier option.
If you’re using chicken breasts, I would suggest browning the chunks just as I did but add the chicken breast in the last 20 minutes when adding the beans. If you have other veggies you love such as yuca, add them in!
1. Season the chicken with sofrito or recatio, garlic, onion, adobe, paprika, salt and pepper. Marinate the chicken for 2-24 hours ( I did 24 hours) .
2. Brown the chicken at a high temperature, just to caramelize the skin which also helps release flavor for the stew.
3. Sweat the onions, bell pepper, garlic, recatio, tomato paste and add chicken broth.
4. Add herbs such as bay leaves, parsely and veggies. Then add chicken back to the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. Lastly, Add in potatoes red beans, onions and garic cloves, thyme. Cook for another 10 minutes.
SO easy right? The potatoes will thicken the sauce so no need to add flour or cornstarch. Enjoy!
Can I use thighs or drumsticks to make chicken stew?
Yes! For recipes like this, we boil and simmer the stew for quite a while. You can use just about any chicken parts for this but thighs and drums work best.
Can You Freeze Chicken Stew?
Chicken Stew can be frozen! If you plan on freezing it, I’d suggest using flour as a thickener (not cornstarch) as it will have a better consistency.
I personally freeze in individual servings because they defrost faster and I can take out as many as I need to serve.
MORE CARIBBEAN RECIPES OPTIONS:
Pollo Guisado Puerto Rican Recipe
- 8 pieces Chicken drum and thighs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp adobo
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp knors seasoning chicken bouillon
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper chopped,
- 4 garlic cloves minced ( save 1 large clove )
- 4 tbsp reciato or green seasoning ( 2 tbsp for marinade)
- 1/4 cup parsely
- 4 springs thyme
- 1 pack sazon
- 2 bay leaf
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3-4 cups chicken broth or water
- 5 small potatoes cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and clean the chicken with lemon and vinegar, dry with a papper towel.
- Season the chicken with sofrito or recatio, garlic powder, onion powder, adobo, paprika, salt and pepper. Marinate the chicken for 2-24 hours ( I did 24 hours) .
- In a medium pot, brown the chicken on both sides at a high temperature just to caramelize the skin, which also helps release flavor for the stew. Once done move set the chicken aside and repeat these steps until your out of meat.
- In the same pot, sweat the onions, bell pepper, garlic recatio then add tomato paste and add chicken broth. Cook for 3 minutes until the tomato paste is well combined in the vegetables.
- Add all your herbs such as bay leaves, parsely, thyme sazon, knors season and veggies. Then add chicken back to the pot and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Lastly, add in the potatoes, red beans, onions, garic cloves and thyme. Cook for another 10 minutes. Enjoy !
How did you like this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another appetizer recipe ? Try this Buffalo Cauliflower next!
Summer is here and it’s time to break out the fruity cocktails! One of my…
Celebrate this season with our cozy and delicious Espresso Martini with Vanilla Cream recipe. The…
The Blackberry Bourbon Smash is a classic cocktail that combines the sweetness of blackberries with…
As the temperatures rise and summer approaches, it’s the perfect time to enjoy a refreshing…
Airfryed Cilantro Parmesan Wings are one of my best go-to recipes for game day. The simple…
Raspberry Jalapeño Wings are the ultimate mid-week recipe you need to have a great time,…