December 17, 2021 | Last Updated on July 2, 2023 by Patricia Valbrun
Homemade Bourbon Glaze Meatloaf for the win! This recipe is going to blow you away. The classic meatloaf becomes over-the-top delicious with the addition of bourbon glaze, crumb crust, and ground beef!
A great family dinner idea, inexpensive and tasty. I hope you’re here for it but trust me on this one, you don’t want to miss out on that cheesy goodness. You can pair this meatloaf with a side of Creamiest Mashed Potatoes.
- What is Bourbon Glaze Meatloaf?
- How to make Moist Bourbon Glaze Meatloaf Recipe From Scratch?
- Should Meatloaf Be Cooked Uncovered or Covered?
- What Kind of Meat to Use In Meatloaf?
- Bourbon Glaze Sauce Recipe
- How to Store and Freeze Meatloaf
- Tips and Suggestions
- Frequently Most Asked Questions
- More Recipe You Can Pair This With
- Bourbon Glaze Meatloaf Recipe
What is Bourbon Glaze Meatloaf?
This meatloaf with a bit of alcohol kick is the perfect holiday meal. It’s meaty, tasty and so cheesy!
Serving this during the holidays or any special occasion has been my favorite because it has always been such a hit! Think meatloaf but elevated!
How to make Moist Bourbon Glaze Meatloaf Recipe From Scratch?
This meatloaf is easy to do in just a few steps, here’s how:
Make Your Meatloaf
Step 1 – Start with your ground beef. Add the bread crumbs, eggs, bell pepper, jalapeno, onions, onion powder, garlic powder, all-purpose seasoning, milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix them all together and then set aside.
Step 2 – Heat your pot and then add the apricot jam, (make sure your fire is on low at the time) before you add your dark brown sugar, sriracha, bourbon, barbecue sauce (you can pick any bbq sauce that you like, I prefer Sweet Baby Ray’s), and 1/4 cup of water. Mix and cook it down until you reach a smooth consistency and to a boil.
Build Your Meatloaf
Step 3 – On a tray lined with foil, start building the base of your meatloaf. Once assembled, fill it with cheese and add the rest of the meatloaf on top.
Start building your “little mountain” and shape it down. Make sure not to make it too high and that all the cheese is on inside the meatloaf.
Step 4 – Glaze your meatloaf generously with bourbon sauce and then bake for 350F for 1 hr.
Step 5 – Let it rest for a bit before cutting it and enjoy!
If you love meatloaf but want to take it to the next level, I can assure you that this is the BEST meatloaf recipe you’ll ever have.
Should Meatloaf Be Cooked Uncovered or Covered?
If adding cheese to your meatloaf, I recommend not covering it for the first 60 minutes or the cheese will melt out, which is not what you want. The idea is for the cheese to stay in the center of the meatloaf.
Making this meatloaf with cheese is optional so if you decided not to the same rules apply. Cover the meatloaf with a single layer of aluminum foil and bake at 350F until it reaches a temperature of 155F.
What Kind of Meat to Use In Meatloaf?
You can actually use any kind of meat you prefer – chicken, turkey, pork, or even fish! You can even make this plant base by substituting some of the ingredients! Personally, I also love using turkey meat for this recipe.
Bourbon Glaze Sauce Recipe
Bourbon glaze is known as the best sauce for meatloaf without ketchup. The best alcohol and brand to use to make the best bourbon glaze sauce is Jim Beans. You can find Jim beans at your local liquor store.
This bourbon glaze sauce recipe has just the right kick of alcohol to bring up the flavors of the dish.
How to Store and Freeze Meatloaf
If you’re planning to store this meatloaf for a few days, you can just store them in the refrigerator without freezing them. They should be good for a few days.
Now if you really want to have them for a few weeks later, you can freeze them by slicing them and storing them in a freezer bag.
This makes it easier to thaw them later. Once you’re ready to have them, reheat them in a microwave for a minute on high. You can also reheat them on a skillet.
Tips and Suggestions
- If you’re not a fan of cheese, you can skip this process and continue with your meatloaf.
- Make sure to use fresh bread crumbs so they will taste the best and give the meatloaf a nice texture.
- For the barbecue sauce, you are free to use whatever brand you like. For this recipe, I used Sweet Baby Ray’s.
- Let your meatloaf rest for a few minutes before cutting them, this way, they won’t crumble when you cut them.
- Re-glaze your meatloaf after the 30 minute mark in the oven.
Frequently Most Asked Questions
What alcholo goes well with meatloaf? Jim Beans Bourbon is the best in my opinion because its easy to break down when cooking.
What can I top on meatloaf instead of ketchup? Bourbon glaze or sweet sticky sauce you can find here
The secret to tender meatloaf? The secret to a tender meatloaf is add milk, do not overload with too many ingredients and do not overcook.
More Recipe You Can Pair This With
Bourbon Glaze Meatloaf Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup onions diced
- 1 cup bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp all purpose seasoning tony's brand
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 cup cheddar and monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup apricot jam
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- ½ cup bourbon
- ½ cup bbq sauce
- ¼ cup water
- Start with your ground beef. Add the bread crumbs, eggs, bell pepper, jalapeno, onions, onion powder, garlic powder, all purpose seasoning, milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix them together.
- In a pot, add the apricot jam, (make sure your fire is on low at the time) dark brown sugar, sriracha, bourbon, barbecue sauce, and 1/4 cup of water. Mix and cook it down until you reach a smooth consistency and to a boil.
Build Your Meatloaf
- Start building half of your meatloaf on a tray lined with foil. Once assembled, fill it with cheese and add the rest of the meatloaf on top. Start building your "little mountain" and shape it down.
- Spread a layer of the bourbon glaze over the meatloaf and bake on 350F for about 60 minutes uncovered, or until a thermometer inserted in the center reads 155F. (It will continue to cook as it rests.)I baste another layer of sauce on the meat halfway through the cooking.If the meatloaf has not reached its temperature after 60 minutes, then place a single layer of foil and continue baking for another 15 minutes covered.
- Allow it to rest for 30 minutes before cutting and enjoy!
How did you like this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another recipe ? Try this Barbecue Chicken recipe next!