November 5, 2019 | Last Updated on January 9, 2023 by Patricia Valbrun
This Spicy Chicken Sandwich recipe is crispy, juicy and tender. It also has a good amount of kick that will have your taste buds dancing away.
Did you wait in line for the much-hyped Spicy Chicken Sandwich from Popeyes? I certainly did not! Avoid the chaos and frustration by making your own version using my recipe. Trust me, it’s worth it.
What You Will Need to Make Popeyes Chicken Sandwich At Home
Before starting to make a chicken sandwich, make sure you have all the necessary ingredients on hand, including chicken breasts, buttermilk, flour, cornstarch, onion powder, garlic, paprika, Slap Ya Mama seasoning, eggs, Frank’s Red Hot sauce, vegetable oil, buns, pickles, lettuce, and mayonnaise
Chicken Breast: To ensure even cooking, cut large chicken breasts in half and pound the thicker half to about 1/2 inch thickness.
Why Use Buttermilk: Buttermilk gives the chicken a classic southern flavor and helps the crust become extra crispy with small crinkles. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can easily make your own by mixing 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar in a bowl and letting it stand for 5 minutes until the milk starts to curdle
Cornstarch: Cornstarch helps make the crust super crispy and light as opposed to just battering the chicken with just flour. I highly recommend using it for the best results but If you don’t have cornstarch at home, replace it with more flour and add 1 tablespoon of baking powder.
The Bun: Using brioche buns takes this to the next level and will replicate the flavor and texture of Popeyes chicken sandwich.
Thermometer: Ensure oil is hot (350F) using a deep fry thermometer. When adding the chicken, the temperature can drop so increase the temperature if needed to keep the oil at 350F.
Step by Step: How to make The Best Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe
My favorite part of the chicken is the thigh, but today we will be using the breast. By marinating it in buttermilk, the chicken will be juicy and flavorful when we bite into it. This chicken sandwich is sure to satisfy your cravings
- To marinate the chicken, add it to a mixture of buttermilk, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and Slap Ya Mama seasoning. Let it sit for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- To prepare the chicken for frying, heat 1 1/2 inches of vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large pot to 350 degrees.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cornstarch, onion powder, garlic, paprika, and Slap Ya Mama.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs and Frank’s Red Hot sauce. Dip the marinated chicken in the flour mixture, then in the egg mixture, and then back in the flour mixture until well coated.
- Fry two pieces of chicken at a time until golden brown and cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. Set the cooked chicken on a rack to cool.
- To make the sauce, combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Assemble the sandwiches by spreading the spicy mayo on the inside of toasted buns, and top with fried chicken, pickles, lettuce, and the other bun.”
What Is On A Spicy Chicken Sandwich?
A spicy chicken sandwich typically consists of a breaded and fried chicken breast, spicy mayonnaise or sauce, pickles, and lettuce, all served on a bun.
How Do You Store Leftovers?
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Variations or Additions
Yes, there are many variations and additions that can be made to the basic chicken sandwich recipe. Some ideas include adding cheese, such as cheddar, provolone, or pepper jack, to the sandwich.
You can also add toppings like tomato, bacon, avocado, or grilled onions and peppers. Another option is to try different sauces or condiments, such as BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, or mustard. You can also experiment with different types of bread, such as a brioche bun or a pretzel bun.
Or, you can try using grilled chicken instead of breaded and fried chicken for a healthier version. The possibilities are endless, so feel free to get creative and make the chicken sandwich your own!
To Make Spicy Mayo Sauce
Whisk together 1/4 cup mayo and 1 dash of cayenne pepper to create a delicious sauce that can be used to make a spicy chicken sandwich. This sauce is identical to popeyes spicy chicken sandwich sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can the chicken sandwich be made in advance and served later, or is it best served immediately?
The chicken sandwich is best served immediately after it is made, but the breaded and fried chicken can be made in advance and stored in the fridge or freezer until ready to use. The sauce and assembled sandwiches should be made and served fresh.
Spicy Chicken Sandwich with Homemade Sauce
- 5 chicken breast
- brioche buns
- vegetable oil enough for deep frying
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot hungarian paprika or regular
- 1 tablespoon slap yo mama or cajun seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup butter milk
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tbsp cornsratch
- 1 1/2 tablespoon slap yo mama or cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon franks hot sauce
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl season chicken breast with salt, onion power, garlic powder, paparika, slap yo mama, white pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes – 2 hours.
- Heat a large deep pot with oil allow to slowy heat up to 350F instert wooden spoon and oil starts to bubble .
- Mix flour, cornstarch , onion powder, garlic, paparika, slap yo mama. Set to side
- Mix eggs, franks red hot sauce, buttermilk
- Remove chicken 30mins later from refrigerator. Remove chicken one by one from butter milk (remove as much buttermilk as you could or you will have a thick coating).
- Dip chicken in egg mixture then in flour and fry for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a medium size pan coat buns with butter and pan fry until golden brown. Place chicken on bun with spicy mayo and pickles.
How did you like this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another great sandwich recipe ? Try this Sloppy Joe next!