November 5, 2019 | Last Updated on February 8, 2021 by Patricia Valbrun
This Spicy Chicken Sandwich is crispy, juicy and tender. It also has a good amount of kick that will have your taste buds dancing away.
How many of you waited in line for a Spicy Chicken Sandwich? Count me out ! The news raving on and on about it. There’s been fights, deaths in the name of Popeyes but nomore! Save yourself the headache of attempting to get it and just make it yourself following my recipe.
What’s your favorite part of the chicken? Mines is the thigh but we will be using breast today. Marinating in buttermilk to allow it to be juicy once we bite into it. This chicken sanwhich could do you no wrong .
How to make The Best Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe – step by step
- Add chicken, buttermilk, salt, onion power, garlic powder, paparika, slap yo mama, white pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes – 2 hours.
- Heat 1 ½ inches of vegetable oil in a dutch oven or large pot to 350 degrees.
- In a wide bowl, add flour, cornstarch , onion powder, garlic, paparika, slap yo mama, set to the side. Mix eggs, franks red hot sauce, buttermilk
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk marinade and dip each piece in the flour mixture until well coated.
- Fry two piece of chicken at a time until golden brown and cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. Rest the cooked chicken on a rackto cool.
- Make the sauce by combining all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading the open sides of the toasted buns with spicy mayo. Top the bottom bun with fried chicken, pickles, lettuce, and the top bun.
What you will need to make Popeyes Chicken Sandwich at home:
Chicken Breast: If your chicken breast is large cut them in half. Pound the thicker half to about a ½ thick to they cook evenly.
Why Use Buttermilk: Buttermilk gives the chicken the authentic southern taste and helps the crust develop all those small crinkles that make it extra crispy. If you don’t have buttermilk at home, just make your own. Stir 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar in a bowl and let stand for 5 minutes until the milk begins to curdle.
Cornstarch: Cornstarch helps make the crust super crispy and light as opposed to just battering the chicken with just flour. I highly recommend using it for the best results but If you don’t have cornstarch at home, replace it with more flour and add 1 tablespoon of baking powder.
The Bun: Using brioche buns takes this to the next level and will replicate the flavor and texture of Popeyes chicken sandwich.
Thermometer: Ensure oil is hot (350F) using a deep fry thermometer. When adding the chicken, the temperature can drop so increase the temperature if needed to keep the oil at 350F.
To make spicy mayo sauce:
Combine 1/4 cup mayo , 1 dash cayenne pepper and whisk. The sauce is delicious in the chicken sandwich and is used to make the spicy version
Spicy Chicken Sandwich
- 3-6 chicken breast
- brioche buns
- vegetable oil enough for deep frying
- 1 dash salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp hot hungarian paprika or regular
- 1 tbsp slap yo mama or cajun seasoning
- 1-1/2 cup butter milk
- 2 cup flour
- 4 tbsp cornsratch
- 1- 1/2 tbsp slap yo mama or cajun seasoning
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp franks hot sauce
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl season chicken breast with salt, onion power, garlic powder, paparika, slap yo mama, white pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes – 2 hours.
- Heat a large deep pot with oil allow to slowy heat up to 350F instert wooden spoon and oil starts to bubble .
- Mix flour, cornstarch , onion powder, garlic, paparika, slap yo mama. Set to side
- Mix eggs, franks red hot sauce, buttermilk
- Remove chicken 30mins later from refrigerator. Remove chicken one by one from butter milk (remove as much buttermilk as you could or you will have a thick coating).
- Dip chicken in egg mixture then in flour and fry for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- In a medium size pan coat buns with butter and pan fry until golden brown. Place chicken on bun with spicy mayo and pickles.
How did you like this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another great sandwich recipe ? Try this Sloppy Joe next!