March 31, 2020 | Last Updated on March 31, 2020 by Patricia Valbrun
A simple Butterflied Roast Chicken recipe, seasoned with garlic, onion powder, hungarian paprika, cayenne pepper and fresh thyme. Not only does this recipe saves a ton of baking time, it allows the chicken to cook as evenly as possible. This easy dish makes a great addition to your weekly meal prep!
While it’s perfect for quick meals, meal prep, lunch and dinner, this spatchcock chicken is quick and easy enough that it can be made any time of year. We serve this alongside Creamist Mashed Potatoes, cornbread dressing and sautéed green beans.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERFLIED ROAST CHICKEN
The chicken comes out PREFECTLY juicy and cooked, and you don’t end up with overcooked breast meat in order to get fully done dark meat.
Because everything is flattened out, all the different parts of the bird cook evenly, and you don’t even need to brine it. yOU here me !
Finally Bake at 400 for 45-60 minutes.
HOW TO SPATCHCOCK A CHICKEN
To butterfly or spatchcock a chicken you need to remove the backbone or spine of the bird. This allows it to lay flatter and cook faster with less risk of drying out the white meat.
Use kitchen scissors . Lay the chicken breast side down and find the backbone going down the center.
Move about 2 inches to the right of the spine and cut all along from bottom to top. Turn the chicken 180 degrees and repeat cutting all along the other side of the backbone.
Now that the backbone is removed, the underside of the breastbone has become exposed. Make a small cut right at the top of the breast bone.
Flip the bird over and press down at the top of the breast. It will give in right where you make the small cut and lay flatter.
WHAT TO DO WITH CHICKEN BACKS
Save the chicken back for making homemade chicken stock or bone broth. After carving the cooked chicken, also save the carcass.
I like to store them in a freezer container and collect bones from 2 chickens before making broth.
SIMILAR RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE:
Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
Would you like to see more? SUBSCRIBE to receive the more recipes! Also, follow me on FACEBOOK, PINTEREST, INSTAGRAM, YOUTUBE or TWITTER.
Butterflied Roast Chicken
- Whole chicken
- 1/2 tbsp Hot hangarian paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Butter for buttering pan and skin side of chicken
- 4 tbsp Cubed butter
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 10 stems Thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash and clean the chicken with vinegar and lemon juice.
- Once the chicken is washed, pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Butterfly the chicken meaning cut off the middle bone inside the chicken by using kitchen scissors. Instructions are in the blog post.
- Next, In a small bowl add all your seasonings such as, onion powder, garlic, hungarian paprika, cayenne pepper, brown sugar and salt. Mix it all together and set aside for later.
- Use 1 tbsp of the butter to butter the skillet. Then add the chicken skin side up. Use another tablespoon of butter to butter the skin of the chicken.
- Then add the chicken to the cask iron skillet and season the front and the back of the chicken using the seasoning mix we made earlier. Put stems of thyme under the chicken so the flavor stems throughout the chicken for better flavor.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes of 400F. Enjoy !
How did you like this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another to pair with is one ? Try Easy Stir Fried Rice next!
Leave a Reply