This is the best French Toast Fried Chicken Sandwich you will ever have! It’s essentially a French Toast sandwich with fried chicken covered in a bourbon sweet chili sauce.
Make it for breakfast or brunch – or anytime! Each layer of this sandwich brings its own unique flavor. Add them all together and you’ve got an unforgettable sandwich.
How to make The Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe – step by step
Frying is undoubtedly more work intensive than many chicken recipes, but it is absolutely worth it. Once you make fried chicken, you’ll want to make it again and again. Wow your family and friends by making delicious fried chicken at home.
1. Add chicken, buttermilk, salt, white pepper into bowl. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes – 2 hours.
2. Heat 1 ½ inches of vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large pot to 350 degrees.
3. In a wide bowl, add flour, onion powder, garlic, paprika, Tony’s seasoning, set to the side.
4. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk marinade and dip each piece in the flour mixture until well coated. Fry two piece of chicken at a time until golden brown and cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. Rest the cooked chicken on a rack to cool.
5. Make the sauce by combining all sauce ingredients in a small pot. Simmer the sauce for 5-7 minutes and let it cool. Enjoy!
Buttermilk Marinated Fried Chicken
This fried chicken sandwich recipe uses a buttermilk marinade to make the chicken extra tender and juicy. If you don’t have buttermilk, make your own. Add 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of milk.
Classic French Toast
French toast is a simple and easy breakfast dish we love . I have a recipe for it here. You can also use your favorite toppings to kick off this dish or enjoy it just the way it is. Its everything you need in one bite!
Combine all the egg mixture ingredients in a medium bowl. Soak the brioche bread on both sides making sure the bread is covered in the egg mixture. Pan fry on both sides using unsalted butter and you’re all done, so easy.
Bourbon Apricot Chili Sauce
If making for children you can easy substitute the bourbon sauce for water . If you would like to take the heat up a notch try adding some paprika and cayenne pepper to the sauce.
The best part of these sandwich that connects the bread and chicken together is the sauce. Apricot simmered down in bourbon, honey, chili sauce and siracha, no syrup needed! This sauce is the perfect match for this sandwich also tasty and delicious.
Top tips to make The Best Fried Chicken Sandwich Recipe
• Let the chicken marinate for at least two hours in the buttermilk, longer if possible.
• Fry the chicken at 350 degrees before frying the chicken. Maintain the temperature by checking with a thermometer.
• Fry the chicken in batches, don’t overcrowd the pot.
• Leave the bourbon out if needed and exchange for water .
• Use a heavy bottom put like a cast iron or Dutch oven that holds heat well.
Try out these other delicious chicken recipes!
- 4 Chicken Things
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp tony’s seasoning
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs ( add in after marinaded when ready to fry)
Burbon Apricot Chili Sauce
- 1 cup apricot
- 1 tbsp chili sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup burbon
- Dash sirracha
Classic French Toast
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter for frying
- 4 slices brioche bread
Egg Mixture (French Toast)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp almond extract or vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch salt
- Wash and clean chicken with lemon and vinegar, trim off any extra fat and pat dry with paper towel.
- In a medium size bowl, add chicken, buttermilk, salt, white pepper. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes – 2 hours, more time the better.
- Heat 1 ½ inches of vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or large pot to 350 degrees.
- In a wide bowl, add flour, onion powder, garlic, paprika, Tony’s seasoning, set to the side.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk marinade and dip each piece in the flour mixture until well coated. Fry two piece of chicken at a time until golden brown and cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. Rest the cooked chicken on a rack to cool.
- Make the sauce by combining all sauce ingredients in a small pot. Simmer the sauce for 5-7 minutes and let it cool. Enjoy!