January 14, 2020 | Last Updated on August 14, 2020 by Patricia Valbrun
This is the BEST Pepper Steak recipe, it’s easy, ready in under 20 minutes and it’s always a winner with my family. SO good, you’ll never buy any other pepper steak ever again!
Pepper Steak is quick, easy and perfect to whip up any night of the week. Strips of beef and onions and bell peppers are fried to create a delicious main dish, ready in no time! I love it with yellow rice and beans and also with a side of plantains.
How to make Pepper Steak Recipe
1. If your meat is pre-chopped it save you time but I like to chop it up myself so it’s not too thin. Chop your steak in long pieces and clean meat with warm water, lemon and vinegar. Drain water, dry and set aside.
2. Chop all of your veggies, bell pepper, red onion, onions, garlic.
3. Add you steak strip to your bowl, all your veggies, epis and all the other seasoning.
4. Marinate steak in the refrigerator for 30 to an hour. If you have more time on your hands, the longer the better.
5. After 30 minutes, set steak out and allow it to drop its temperature so when cooking all meat cooks evenly. You should never cook meat straight out of the refrigerator cold.
6. Fry up your red bell pepper that you cut in strips and onions, this is going to add a lot of flavor and color to the dish.
7. In a medium pan cook the steak until its brow, allowing all the flavors to cook down then add liquid, water or chicken stock works, just enough to cover the beef.
8 . Add some tomato paste, if you don’t like tomato paste this is optional but since we are making a stew this is going to add color as well, cook until done and enjoy! .
PEPPER STEAK TIPS
- Marinate meat ahead of time to cut down time.
- When removing meat from the fridge after marinating allow the temperature to come down by leaving the meat out for another 15-20 minutes before cooking.
- If you cook the stew to long or the meat will be a little tough.
- For healthier options you can make letter wr
- aps or also eat with cauliflower rice.
As a kid I loved when my Mom made Pepper Steak and now that I’m an adult, it’s always a hit in my house when I make it. The key to making a quick stew is to marinate your meat ahead of time and have all your ingredients chopped and prepped before you start to cook. Once prepped, your meal will be ready in no time.
- 2 lbs Beef Strips
- ½ red onion finely minced
- 1/3 cup yellow, orange, red bell pepper minced
- 1 tbsp garlic cloves minced
- 2 ½ tbsp epis
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 pack sazón
- 1 tbsp knors
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp lemon or lime
- 1 red onion Red or White Sliced
- ½ red Bell Pepper sliced
- ½ yellow, orange bell pepper sliced
- 1 tsp vinegar
- salt to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste full tbsp
- Chop your steak in long strips, clean the meat with warm water, lemon and vinegar. Drain the water, dry and set aside.
- Chop all of your veggies, bell pepper, red onion, and garlic.
- Add the steak strip to your bowl, all your minced veggies, epis and all other marninade seasonings.
- Marinate the steak in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to an hour. If you have more time on your hands, the longer the better. After 30 minutes, set the steak out and allow it to drop its temperature so when cooking all meat cooks evenly.
- In a medium size pan on medium heat , cook the steak until the steak browns, allowing all the flavors to cook down. Then add your vinegar and chicken stock , just enough to cover the beef and let simmer.
- Once it starts simmering, add the tomato paste and mix it in until its dissloved.
- At this point your steak should be done turn your stove on low heat if you still want to cook the veggies if you like them hard turn off stove. Add the red onions and bell pepper mix it all together so the vegetables can soften and you're all done enjoy!
How did you like this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another to pair with is one ? Try these Plantains next!
A pot of this Authentic Louisiana-style Red Beans and Rice epitomizes comfort. Tender beans, tons of aromatics,…
New Orleans Cajun Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is a celebration New Orleans bold flavors and…
This Jamaican Jerk Marinade’s simplicity in preparation makes this jerk marinade recipe a go-to choice…
Bite into a slice of Jamaican Jerk Chicken Pizza with tender and flavorful jerk chicken,…
Wait till you try this BRAZILIAN Fish Stew (Moqueca Baiana)! Brace yourself for an irresistible tomato…
One of the best things about the Spicy Watermelon Margarita is its versatility. It can…