If there’s a perfect pasta, it must be the Jamaican Rasta Pasta. It almost has everything – cheese, cream, veggies, oxtails or chicken! We’ve also added our own twist to this dish so best believe this will be a favorite. It’s also the perfect comfort food for when you need a lil pick me up or just want something delicious.
HOW TO MAKE RASTA PASTA
1. Avoid overcooking the bell peppers. You want the bell peppers to be a little firm so it doesn’t break up in the pasta.
2. Before cooking the pasta, make sure to check the label for timing. You can also add salt to “season” the pasta.
3. Don’t cook the pasta for too long or it will become soggy and lose its freshness. Make sure to drain the water off of your pasta but don’t leave them too long to dry.
4. Prevent your pasta from sticking together or to the pot by continuously stirring it after you drop it.
What is Rasta Pasta Sauce?
The pasta sauce is composed of butter, flour, milk or heavy whipping cream, Mexican style four cheese, mozzarella cheese, Walkerwood jerk season and jerk seasoning.
When you’re making the sauce, only add the flour once the butter is melted and slowly add the milk and continuously stir to break down the flour.
What other meats can I use with Rasta Pasta?
I love to use chicken as well instead of oxtails being that oxtails can be a bit pricey. You can also use shrimp and lamp, what ever works for you.
How to make Oxtail Sauce
This part is totally optional but, you can add more flavor to the Jamaican Rasta Pasta by adding sauce from Jamaican Oxtail Stew – a classic and a popular stew in our household. This is how I make Oxtail Stew, this is also best paired with rice and peas.
MORE CARIBBEAN RECIPES:
- 1 box Penne pasta
- 1/2 eac. Red yellow, green bell pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbs All purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups Heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Mexican style four cheese
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella
- 2 tbsp Jerk season Walkerwood
- 1 tsp Jerk seasoning
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pan, add olive oil, mined garlic, red peppers and sauted for seven minutes or until your desired texture and set aside.
- In a large pot, add water, olive oil, salt. Once water starts boiling add pasta and cook using box instructions. Drain water and remove pasta, set aside pasta aside to use the same pot.
- Making a roux sauce for the pasta. In the large pot add butter, heavy cream. Allow the milk to come to a boil, then add flour cooking on low high heat whisk in flour slowly. Allow to thicken for 5 minutes then add sauted garlic, bell pepper, cheese, jerk seasoning, seasoning salt and salt and pepper. Mix everything together until its well combined .
- Next, add pasta and blend everything together and enjoy!
Did you enjoy this Jamaican Pasta Rasta recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. You can find more pasta recipes here.