This southern style Smoked Turkey Bacon Cabbage is so delicious, full of flavor and super easy to make just using a few ingredients. This dish can eaily be paired with Southern Macaroni and Cheese, Sweet Chili Salmon or Southern Catfish.
How to make Smoked Turkey Cabbage
Seasoning: When cooking vegetables I always freestyle and use my favorite seasonings. For this one, I had some red peppers flakes, hot sauce, sugar yes sugar , onion powder and garlic powder as my go to ingredients. You can always use what works for you . Your technique of cooking cabbage is what makes or breaks this dish.
Cooking Time: Its important to not boil the cabbage but to steam it or it will be soggy . Get a large pot, add just enough water to steam the vegetables, cover it and cook on medium heat and watch all your ” I dont like vegetables” kids life change forever. Yes its that good !
This cabbage is one of my husbands favorites so you just might see me making it again soon with a little tweaks here and there . I hope you all enjoy this just as much as we did !
TIPS ON CABBAGE RECIPE
- Wash and cut cabbage ahead of time to save yourself some time.
- Steam cabbage, if you boil it the cabbage will be soggy.
- Add vinegar if you want more of a tangy taste.
- Store cabbage inside tight container and store inside the refridgerator for 3-5 days.
- 1 Cabbage
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pack turkey bacon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- In a large pot add olive oil. Fry chopped turkey bacon until its nice and crispy and set aside.
- Using the same pot. Add butter to your pan, sauté garlic and onion for 5 mins until translucent scrapping the bits at the bottom of the pan.
- Add 2 cups chicken broth and cabbage. Allow the cabbage to steam for 10-15 mins on medium heat.
- Next add turkey and all seasoning, salt, pepper, hot sauce, seasoning salt, pepper flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar mix everything together.
- Serve hot .
Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another to pair with is one ? Try these Plantains next!