December 3, 2019 | Last Updated on January 20, 2022 by Patricia Valbrun
This Jamaican Oxtail Recipe is SUPER flavorful rich and falls off the bones tender with butter beans. Oxtails are a super fatty meat that is best made with Caribbean spices to enhance the flavor.
My favorite ways to cook oxtails is to slow braise them which helps break down the meat so its soft and tender. Slow braising your meat requires it to cook for just about 3 hours, so on a chill day is the perfect time to make this dish.
I remember there was a time in my life when oxtails were one of my favorite things to eat. Now that I’m older, I get to experiment with different Caribbean spices to get the best flavors.
How to make Authentic Jamaican Oxtail with Butter Bean Recipe
- CLEAN/ SEASON – oxtails with adobo, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Add jerk seasoning (optional), green seasoning and browning. Mix everything thoroughly.
- MARINATE – cover and let it marinate in the refrigerator for 5-7 hours.
- COOK – Add oil to your pot and braise your oxtails slowly on low heat until they’re nice and brown. Constantly rotate them to make sure they cook evenly. Cover your pot and let cook for about 2 hours.
- OXTAIL GRAVY – After your oxtail is cooked, prepare your sauce. Mix the soy sauce, ketchup, and brown sugar. Add the sauce to your oxtail. Cover your pot and cook for another 15 minutes.
- BUTTERBEANS – After 15 minutes, add the butterbean and stir it. Cook for another 15 minutes and you’re all done!
Jamaican Oxtail Seasoning
Oxtails, Dutch Oven or Large Pot, Caribbean green seasoning, scotch bonnet pepper, thyme, onions, garlic, browning, soy sauce. These items or ingredients has to be my go to when making Caribbean dishes.
You can also choose to marinate the meat with these seasonings before cooking if you enough time on your hands. A little tip when braising the meat.
After you slow cook the meat on both sides for color do not wash the pot, remove the meat to start cooking the vegetables. Keep all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan because this is where all the flavor is .
How Do You Make Oxtail Tender on the Stovetop
Oxtails are great for braising and require a long cooking time — usually about 2-3 hours. Slow cooking breaks down the connective tissue and renders it tender and allows it to fall off the bone. Which is what I recommend, especially for first-timers.
Additionally, if you can have the butcher cut the oxtail into medium pieces, that’d be good. It helps cut down on the cooking time. Oh, and make sure you pick out the ones with less visible fat.
Can I Cook Oxtails In a Slow Cooker or Pressure Cooker ?
Yes! You can easily prepare Jamaican Oxtails in a pressure cooker or slow cooker. Follow the same instructions given in this recipe. Time varies depending on which brand of cooker you have at home.
What to serve with Jamaican Oxtail?
Jamaican Oxtails Recipe
- 3 lbs Oxtail
- 4 cups hot water
- Olive oil
- 1 White onion
- 3 Scallions
- 6 cloves Garlic chopped
- 10 Thyme spring
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1/2 Green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp Adobo
- 1/2 tbsp Jerk season
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 2-3 tbsp Browning Grace
- 3 tbsp Recatio caribbean green seasoning
- 1 can Butter Beans Grace
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Season your cleaned/washed oxtails with adobo, cayenne pepper, garlic powder and salt and pepper. Add jerk seasoning (optional). Pour the green seasoning all over and 2 tbsp of browning. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Add all your vegetables and mix again. Add 1 tbs of browning. Once you're done blending the seasoning to your meat, cover and let it marinate in the refrigerator for 5-7 hours.
- Start cooking your oxtails. Add oil to your pot and braise your oxtails slowly on low heat until they're nice and brown. Constantly rotate them to make sure they cook evenly.
- Once they're nice and brown, turn up the heat and add about 4 cups of water. Add the vegetables you set aside and allow into slight boil over on medium heat. Cover your pot and let cook for about 2 hours.
- After your oxtail is cooked, prepare your sauce. Mix the soy sauce, ketchup, and brown sugar.
- Add the sauce to your oxtail. Cover your pot and cook for another 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, add the butterbean and stir it. Cook for another 15 minutes and you're all done!