October 18, 2021 | Last Updated on December 18, 2021 by Patricia Valbrun
Creamy Potato Au Gratin is traditional comfort food, rich, creamy, and cheesy. However, it takes effort to put it all together, but it’s worth the time! Using my method, I will show you how to put together this cheesy potato goodness.
Homemade is always better! My mother used to make Creamy Potato Au Gratin for the holidays, and they were always my favorite.
She often sometimes went the easier route by using the box version you can find at your local market, but I digress to not do it because homemade is better!
What is Creamy Potato Au Gratin?
The difference between Au Gratin and Scalloped Potatoes is whether the dish contains cheese. Generally, scalloped potatoes don’t have any cheese, and au gratin potatoes do.
How to make Creamy Potato Au Gratin from Scratch?
Au Gratin is easy to make and delicious, but it can take a very long time to cook. This recipe prepares for 90 minutes of cooking time while using my tips and tricks to get you through it.
Step 1: Clean, peel and soak potatoes in water and salt. Soaking will help tenderize the potatoes.
Step 2: Thinly slice potatoes and onion using a knife, or you can use ( Stainless Steel Food Slicer), which will save you tons of time. You can also use a sharp knife if you don’t have one.
Step 3: Create your traditional homemade cheese sauce loaded with flavor by using all ingredients below. Making sure you have Cheddar Cheese and Colby Jack on hand.
Step 4: Layer your casserole dish just like you would with lasagna. You are starting with your cheese sauce, potatoes, cheese sauce again, then shredded cheese.
Continue until you’re all out, ending with shredded cheese on top.
Step 5: Bake for 1 hour covered and 30 minutes uncovered (total cooking time 90 minutes).
What’s the Best Way to Slice Potatoes?
The most crucial tip to this recipe is to slice the potatoes as thinly as possible to ensure they all cook evenly. A mandolin will make for a more straightforward process.
It’s a very inexpensive handheld mandolin, which I love, and it works great. Being that I couldn’t find mines at the time, I used a sharp knife.
What’s the Difference Between Scalloped Potatoes and Au Gratin Potatoes?
Many confuse the two, the terms scalloped potatoes and au gratin potatoes interchangeably. The main difference is a concise answer.
Scallop Potatoes does not contain cheese, only a cream sauce, while Au Gratin potatoes do.
Tip and Suggestions
• Cover your casserole dish with foil while it bakes, this allows it to steam and the will potatoes to a bit faster.
• Allow it to rest for 15 minutes so the cheese sauce settles.
More Potatoe Recipes
Homemade Creamy Potato Au Gratin
- 5 lbs Rustic Potatoes
- 6 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Salt
Creamy Cheese Sauce
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup All purpose flour
- 1 cup Onions
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 tbsp Djon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp Chicken bouillon
- 1 tbsp Tony’s seasoning
- 2 tbsp Garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp White pepper
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 3 Thyme stems
- 1/3 cup Colby jack cheese
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 cup Colby Jack
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter 3-Inches x 9-Inches x 2.5-Inches deep casserole dish.
- Wash potatoes and slice ¼″ thick (no peeling needed). Soak potatoes in hot water and salt for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the 1/4 cup flour, salt, 1 cup Onions , 2 cups Milk, 1 tbsp Djon mustard , 1/2 tbsp Chicken bouillon, 1 tbsp Tony’s seasoning, 2 tbsp Garlic powder, 1/4 tsp White pepper, 1/4 tsp Nutmeg, 3 thyme, 1/3 cup Colby jack cheese and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Cook until mixture has thickened.
- Put a little bit of the cheese mixture in the bottom of a greased casserole dish, 3-Inches x 9-Inches x 2.5-Inches, or an oven-safe pan. Layer cheese mixture, potatoes, cheese sauce then shredded cheese. Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Bake at 400°F for 1 hour covered and 30 minutes uncovered, until hot and bubbly. Enjoy !
How did you like this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another recipe ? Try this Barbecue Chicken recipe next!