July 23, 2021 | Last Updated on July 23, 2021 by Patricia Valbrun
Southern Fried Porkchops makes for a great comforting, down south meal. Juicy, tender and deep fried to perfection, these old fashion southern fried porkchops is one the family will love.
How to Make Southern Fried Pork Chop
To get the breading to stick to the chops, they will be quickly coated in a seasoned egg mixture and then dredged in flour. The egg and flour mixture really helps the breading stick!
- Dab the pork chops with a paper towel to absorb any moisture. (This also helps the egg mixture to stick.)
- Season pork chops with epis (green seasoning).
- Create seasoned egg mixture and flour mixture (per recipe below)
- Dip in egg and dredge in flour.
- Fry porkchops 350F for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
We are using bone-in Pork chops but if preferred you can use boneless pork chops. Because we are frying the pork chops, the bone-in chops will be juicier and more flavorful (they usually have a little more fat on them), which is crucial to cooking a good pork chop!
The bone -in the pork chops will also slow down the cooking process just a tad bit, which will help it from overcooking and drying out.
How Do You Know When Pork Chops Are Done Frying?
When frying you’ll easily be able to tell when the porkchops are done because they will float to the top of your pan. Using a heavy bottom pan to carry the heat like a Cast Iron skillet is also very important.
Best Spices to Season Meat
My favorite species to season pork chops or any other meats like chicken, beef, lamb, etc., are epis (green seasoning), onion powder, garlic powder, adobo, or tony’s seasoning paprika and curry.
Epis (green seasoning) and Curry powder are essential to this dish because that’s where you get flavor and color. Epis for taste, curry powder for color.
How to Reheat Fried Porkchops
Reheating breaded pork chops is easy! Keep them in the refrigerator covered until ready to reheat.
- Oven Place them on a greased baking sheet and warm them in the oven for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees
- Microwave You can reheat in the microwave but they will stay crispier on the outside if they are reheated in the oven.
How do you get the perfect crust on pork chops?
To get the perfect crust on your chops make sure the pork chops are completed dried after cleaning/rising or if you choose to not wash your meat use a paper towel to absorb any liquid on the meat.
Why does breading fall off pork chops?
Breading can fall off when your oil is not hot enough or the meat is too wet.
How to tenderize porkchops?
If you think your raw pork chops are kind of tough to start off with, you can use a mallet to break down the meat and make them much more tender prior to the marinating and cooking process.
What to Pair With Porkchops
Southern Fried Pork Chops
- 6 Pork Chops 1/4 inches thin cut
- Peanut Oil
- 4 tbsp Epis green seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Louisiana Classic Fry breading mix
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Curry
- 1/4 tsp Alpsice
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Adobo
- 3 tbsp Mustard
- Optional: Clean and rise meat. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Season pork chops with epis seasoning and set them in the refrigerator until all your other items are together.
- In a bowl, add all-purpose flour, Louisiana classic fry, adobo, paprika, allspice, curry. In another bowl, add your eggs, adobo, paprika, and mustard.
- Dip the pork chop into the egg, making sure to coat all sides. Lightly dredge in flour while pressing flour into the meat.
- Heat Peanut oil in a heavy bottom pan, such as a Cast Iron Skillet.
- At 350F medium-high heat, fry pork chops until crispy golden brown for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve warm, enjoy!
How did you like this recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think. Looking for another Southern recipe ? Try Southern Shrimp & Grits next!